Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Christmas Decision

There has been a ton of talk this year about not letting Christmas manage you. Or maybe I'm just actually paying attention to it this year. I acknowledge that I do allow the true meaning of Christmas to be over-shadowed by my need to be the perfect gift-giver and treat-maker.

So, as I sat with Kevin last night eating my birthday dinner (portobello ravioli from California Pizza Kitchen), I really started thinking about how I used to not be so stressed out during this time of year. I thought back to how I'd go Christmas shopping with the masses on Black Friday and really didn't worry about much of anything.

How was that?

I was a full time college student, working full time, participating in every activity known to man, living on next to nothing ... and I wasn't stressed out?

Then it came to me ... I took care of my own needs during that time of year. If it was a pretty necklace that I just 'needed' or locking myself in my room for an evening of nothingness ... I did it.

Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that this year, I would give myself a present, too.

Drum roll, please.

I am not making 5 chocolate covered pretzels for 75 of Kevin's coworkers (meaning 375 total pretzels).

Instead, I will spend more time with Lubbock and Kevin.

Merry Christmas to me.


(And don't worry, Jen. I'm still making cookies for the cookie exchange ... I haven't gone off the deep end that badly!)

2 comments:

Melisa said...

I am so proud of you! We should all be doing a little less so we can focus a little more where we need to. Way to go!

Jen said...

Haha! I'm glad you did...they are excellent!