Friday, September 12, 2008

Run, Nata-Leigh, Walk

So, as I watched the marathon during the Olympics, I thought about how I used to run when I was in college and how good it felt to finally make it over that "wall" and to feel like you could go forever as long as you didn't stop. What a good feeling! But, it seems like such a chore to even get out of bed anymore. I decided to see if I couldn't get going again. I'm not a very good evening exerciser, so I knew I would have to go in the morning, but once Lubbock wakes up, it's at least two hours before I can manage to get out the door. The only logical solution? Go in the wee-hours of the morning.

I had Kevin kick me out of bed when he gets up (at 5:15am) and I put on my brand new running shoes and took my Ipod and shot out the door. I started at a brisk walk, then jogged for about 15 second spurts, briskly walking in between. It felt really good. I have no clue how far I went, but if I had to guess, it was 3 miles. I have to go to the bank today, so I figured I would drive the course and see what the car said.

I even made a special playlist on my Ipod with songs that had really fast, heavy beats. My playlist has:
  • Gnarls Barkley "Crazy"
  • The Apples in Stereo "Ruby"
  • Bowling for Soup "Ohio"
  • Chris Isaak "Diddley Daddy"
  • Dolly Parton "Why'd You Come in Here"
  • The Juliana Hatfield Three "A Dame With a Rod"
  • The Killers "Mr. Brightside"
  • The Killers "Somebody Told Me"
  • The Killers "Midnight Show"
  • The Killers "This River is Wild"
  • Lily Allen "Alfie"
  • Marilyn Manson "The Beautiful People"
  • Mute Math "Typical"
  • Modest Mouse "What People Are Made Of"
  • Old 97s "Doreen"
  • Old 97s "Time Bomb"
  • Old 97s "Four Leaf Clover"
  • The Roches "We"
  • The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"
  • The White Stripes "Hypnotize"
  • Pat Green "Carry On"
  • Fatboy Slim "Gangster Tripping"
  • James "Sometimes"
It's a really ecclectic mix of music, I realize this. It's got country, rock-a-billy, rap, rock, I don't even know how you catogorize The Roches ... my sister turned me onto them. It's three women and a guitar and they have beautiful harmonies. The song "We" starts off pretty fast paced and gets faster, so that song was really nice.

I only make it half-way through the songlist, but I had it on shuffle so I wouldn't get a huge clump of The Killers (Lubbock's favorite band, by the way) or the Old 97s.

At some point on my walk back I noticed that the insides of both of my heels were feeling like they were slipping in my shoes, so I tightened my laces and it actually felt worse ... "power through it." I had two little blisters when I got home. Kevin suggested that I buy heel inserts for my shoes. He's probably right.

So, blog readers ... Dad, Lauren, and Melisa ... I am going to try to get out in the morning and see if walking (with spurts of jogging) can turn into a nice run before Kevin leaves for work. Hold me to it. Seriously.

At least until the first snowfall.

1 comment:

Melisa said...

Um, lovely comment. Maybe you should not allow anonymous comments. ;)

"It's a really ecclectic mix of music" is exactly what I was going to say! Too funny!

You are a better woman than me. I can't seem to get up before 7, no matter how I bribe myself or try to convince myself. I never last more than week. And I don't run. I refuse. I know I should run, but I won't. I'm a slacker.