Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Olympic Slump

I love the Olympics. I can barely peal myself away from the television when they're on. I actually love a lot of sporting events (March Madness ... a good story to share in a bit about that, and the Bowl part of college football are probably my other two favorites). I think I like sports so much because you NEVER know what's going to happen. It's not like a one hour mystery show that about three minutes into it, you've already figured out the plot. Anyway ... the Olympics ended with such a spectacular show ... although, not as exciting as the the opening show. This year, with the aid of Tivo, I actually finally finished watching the Olympics last night. I wanted to see the men's marathon and basketball game, but with Kevin's birthday weekend (we decided to extend it), I couldn't get to it until then. So, now the slump hits me. I have nothing to watch on TV, so I'm going to be back to a better wife, mother, house cleaner, friend, sister, daughter, blogger ... maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Kevin took Friday off. He first went for a haircut. He usually goes to SportsClips, but there was a 20 minute wait, so he decided to try a local business instead. The lady reminded him of his mom and he loved his new haircut, so he set up an appointment for Lubbock later that afternoon. (Yes, he did just get his first haircut recently, but he must have my hair because it's already long!) He went to renew his license, but couldn't do it without either his birth certificate or his high school transcripts (why these are equivalent forms of ID, I'm not sure), so we had to call his dad to mail his birth certificate to us. Then, we went to the Polo outlet store and he got a pair of shorts and two shirts for his birthday. (He also found a cute green one for Lubbock ... they have about four matching outfits now ... so cute!)

Saturday, we just hung out and ran around town. There's an antique store we've always meant to go to just down the street. In the same parking lot, there was a store going out of business and selling all it's fixtures. I was able to find a great table that is more suited for being a craft room table.

This reminds me ... the picture to the left is a table I am IN LOVE WITH. It is at the Anthropologie store and costs $1300. While Kevin seems to think it's a bit overboard (especially since it doesn't come with chairs) ... I happen to think that I didn't know my life was incomplete until I saw it. Again, I'm being over-dramatic. Really, I left my name and phone number and asked that if they ever marked it down ... like 75% off or so ... maybe I could talk Kevin into getting it. In the meantime, I think the first table I bought to go downstairs may turn into another project. I want to paint the legs yellow and buy a white Corian top to go on it. From my research online, I think I can get the top for about $100 from a scrap yard. I still don't know what to do about the chairs, but surely I can find some great garage sale or Craigslist finds for that.

Okay, my March Madness story, then off to housework ... Kevin and I met March 2, 2002. I only know this date because it's my brother's birthday and I remember calling them from my car before going into the club. We didn't really hit it off from the start. I thought he was hitting on my roommate (as he puts it ... casting a few lines and maybe one would bite). He offered to buy drinks and I accepted. We hung out and exchanged numbers. I really didn't think about calling him. But, the next morning, I woke up and I was hungry. I also was low on funds ... as a resourceful young woman, I decided to call him and we had lunch! I started to like him a little more. About two weeks later, my best friend, Moshmee called. She had lost her job and wanted to know if I would come down there that weekend. I called Kevin to see if he wanted to go and he said it sounded like fun. We packed up the car and drove to Austin on Saturday morning. When we got there, Moshmee, was still at a music festival, so Kevin and I hung out at a bar ... drinking and watching basketball. A few drinks later, we started talking about differences between Oklahoma (where we lived at the time) and Texas (where we both grew up). We thought it was silly that you couldn't get tattoos in Oklahoma and decided that since we were in Texas, we should get some. He asked what I would get and I pointed to a logo on the Coors Light bottle. It's the shape of Texas, but filled in like the Texas flag. Shocked, he said it was the same thing he wanted. We walked to the nearest tattoo parlor and got matching tattoos within a month of meeting. We were so dumb. At least we didn't get each other's names!

More later, I'm sure.

No comments: